Friends of Patrick Eagan Park


History of Patrick Eagan, the Settler





The township of Eagan was named after Patrick Eagan who was the first chairman of the town board of supervisors. Patrick Eagan settled on a 220-acre parcel of land near the intersection of Pilot Knob and Wescott Roads. Patrick Eagan and his wife Margaret Twohy, were both born in Tipperary, Ireland in 1811 and 1816 respectively. They were married in Troy, New York in 1843. The records indicate that Patrick Eagan and his family arrived in the Mendota area around 1853-1854. Patrick served on the Mendota board for two years before the establishment of Eagan. He was elected six times as Eaganís chairman.


Source: Eagan Historical Trail Guide



Return to Background